Care to venture a guess as to how easy it is to launch a fresh installation of the Drupal CMS? Would you guess 50, 25 or 12 steps? How about 8 steps? Believe it or not, that’s right. In this Rackspace Recipe we will review just how easy it is. This tutorial assumes you’re working on a Linux server with the LAMP stack and Drush previously installed. It also assumes you are logged into the shell with sudo permissions.
- Navigate to the root web folder by typing: ‘cd /var/www’
- Download the latest version of Drupal by typing: ‘drush dl drupal’
- Rename the Drupal folder by typing: ‘mv drupal-XXXX newsitename’
- Type ‘cd newsitename’ and open permissions for installation with ‘chmod -R 777 . ‘
- Create a database in mysql with the name of the site
- Update sites/default/settings.php with the correct connection string
- Run the install.php file
- Change permissions back to 755
Drush is an incredible tool which I could talk about for days, if I fully understood it. This is literally just the tip of the iceberg. To take this one step further…what if you wanted to add a bunch of modules to your new Drupal site? That’s pretty easy too. For instance…you could download an unlimited number of modules using Drush dl (download). Example:
The trick here is to be within the folder containing the site you want these modules to populate.